My Union Dues at Work
Budget Year 2013
What are my union dues used for?
Representation & Legal Services
- Winning good union contracts requires skilled negotiators and union reps who assist your negotiating team to build membership unity by organizing rallies and worksite actions;
- Winning grievances and arbitrations as well as contract enforcement requires well-trained stewards and support from Local 888’s reps and legal team;
- New member organizing to improve wages and benefits for other public service and non-profit employees so our own wages and benefits are not eroded or contracted-out;
- Member benefits such as discount tickets and Local 888 promotional items;
- Chapter funds that can be used for membership building activities.
Communications with Members and the Public
- Publications for various union programs, including the Local 888 newsletter, “The Spark.” Local 888 members may also need media campaigns, public relations and opinion surveys to support collective bargaining;
- Materials for rallies and events.
- Rent for SEIU Local 888 union hall and field offices, Information Technology, Human Resources, and general overhead;
- Insurance, accounting, legal and audit services.
Organizational & Affiliation Dues
- Support for programs on civil and human rights, equal opportunity;
- Per capita dues to SEIU International;
- Membership in state and local labor federations and councils;
- Mobilizing Local 888 members to campaign for better legislation and improved public services at the local, state and federal level.
Research & Educational Service
- Member participation in events that build or train union leaders;
- Union initiatives supported by smart financial and statistical research.
Click here to download a printable PDF of this page