The Local 888 Executive Board formed a subcommittee to work on updating the union’s bylaws. In addition to President Brenda Rodrigues, members of the committee were Susan Winning, Anita Christon, and Damali Simmonds. The committee presented its final proposed revisions to the Executive Board on Sept. 18, 2019 and they were unanimously approved.
The proposed bylaws changes are based on the Executive Board’s experience with the current bylaws, the need for clarification of existing language and to create more opportunities for member involvement. The overall goal is to establish more democracy in our union.
The proposed changes must be approved by a majority of the membership in a mail ballot referendum. Ballots will be mailed to all members in good standing during the week of October 21. Members will have a month to vote. Sealed ballots must be received at the SEIU Local 888 union hall (25 Braintree Hill Office Park, Braintree, MA 02184) no later than 5:00 PM, Monday, December 2, 2019.
If you did not receive a ballot, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617) 241-3300. All Local 888 members are urged to update their mailing address through the Member Portal.
Summary of Proposed Changes to SEIU Local 888 Bylaws
Proposed bylaws changes are based on the Executive Board’s experience with the current bylaws, the need for clarification of existing language and to create more opportunities for member involvement. The overall goal is to establish more democracy in the union. Areas of proposed amendments:
- Build upon existing language on retirees to add a retiree member to the Executive Board (appointed by the president), establish a retiree chapter and encourage retiree participation in caucuses and Local 888’s Committee on Political Action.
- Add to category of Associate Member to include those who have voted for the union but do not yet have a collective bargaining agreement.
- Create new categories of lower dues rate for laid off, associate, retiree members, to be established by the Executive Board
- Members have the right to receive their collective bargaining agreements
- Strengthen members’ right and responsibility to create safe work environment by adding new language …members shall not take part in sexual harassment or conduct that causes “an intimidating, hostile, humiliating or sexually offensive work environment.”
- Role of president – create a team approach, by adding language that president works in collaboration with other officers and Executive Board, rather than president as the sole decision-maker. Add language: 40% of Executive Board can call for special Executive Board meeting.
- Amend language in duties of Secretary-Treasurer and Recording Secretary: To collaborate with the President and other officers and Executive Board in implementing policies. (from assigned by president)
- To be eligible to run for statewide office, members must be in continuous good standing for at least one year (reduced from two years)
- Executive Board: Add trustees as official members, retiree member and language enabling addition of industry sector representatives in the future.
- Add language to increase fairness: Members not satisfied with a ruling of the Election Committee may petition an approved Arbitrator hired by the Election Committee within fifteen (15) days after the action thereon, to review the action of the Election Committee
- Add option of electronic voting
Meetings: increase frequency of meetings to encourage more membership participation:
- Chapters – meetings shall take place at least four times a year (increase from two)
- 5% of members can call for a general membership meeting
Amendments to the bylaws:
- Reduce percentage of members who can initiate amendments by petition signed by five percent (5%)
- Add option of electronic voting for approval of proposed amendments
Revisions to SEIU Local 888 Bylaws were approved by the Executive Board on Sept. 18, 2019. A complete copy of the proposed changes is posted on the Local 888 website at www.seiu888.org/bylaws