SEIU Local 888 is nearly 9,000 public sector workers strong. We provide support and services to cities and towns throughout the Commonwealth. 888 believes in the dignity and worth of its members and the services they provide. Our Local is dedicated to improving the quality of services provided by the state but equally dedicated to improving the lives of our members and their families.
Everyday, our members provide important and vital public services like:
- Maintain public streets, plow snow, fix potholes, water/sewer lines and tend bridges;
- Dispatch emergency services, inspect elevators and escalators for public safety;
- Provide safe passage on Steamship ferries;
- Care for veterans and implement public health programs;
- Process permits, coordinate services, and administer payrolls;
- Support teachers, implement IEP’s, teach preschool-aged children, make nutritious meals, maintain public schools and drive school buses;
- Operate an effective and efficient state lottery system;
- Provide support for staff at local colleges and universities.
We stand for:
Winning better contracts that guarantee better pay, benefits and working conditions for our members
Building public, community, and legislative power to maintain and support quality public services.
Uniting the public sector and building strength through organizing new members into our union.
We are backed by the power and strength of the largest union in the United States, the Service Employees International Union. We are two million members strong and growing. Here in Massachusetts, SEIU represents over 75,000 members.