"With the cost of housing so high I was struggling to pay for my home improvements. If it wasn't for the Housing Trust I would not have been able to make much needed repairs," said Dominic DiMare, a steward at the Boston Police Department.
"I'd suggest that if you are experiencing problems, before you do anything, make your first call to the Housing Trust. It's a shame that more members don't take advantage of it. There's no catch to it. You've earned it by working for the City."
The Housing Trust SEIU Local 888 members who work for the City of Boston Admin Guild, BCYF, BPD, BPHC, DND, Elderly or P&E are eligible to receive benefits from the City of Boston - SEIU Local 888 Housing Trust. The Housing Trust was negotiated through collective bargaining to assist SEIU Local 888 members with the cost of housing in Boston by providing them with grants and interest free loans.
The assistance programs have been updated and some new benefits have been added. Most grant amounts have been substantially increased to $2,500 (except for the home ownership benefit which has been increased to $15,000).
The Housing Trust provides eligible members with grants and loans to make it more affordable for city employees. Check out these five programs:
- Fuel Assistance: The City of Boston-SEIU Local 888 Housing Trust will provide 100 members who's yearly income is less than or equal to $47,450 with a grant of $750 to help alleviate heating costs during the months of November 1, 2014 – March 31, 2015.
- Emergency Assistance: Aids members for up to $5,000 for a housing-related emergency such as loss of income because of unemployment of a spouse/partner, illness, death of a spouse/partner wage earner, or an unanticipated home repair.
- Rental Assistance: Alleviates the cost of maintaining residence for up to $5,000 within the City of Boston.
- Home Improvement: Pays for housing related home improvements up to $7,500.
- Homeownership Benefit: Supports members with $15,000 to purchase a home within the City of Boston.
If you have a need for the program, please apply using our more user friendly website. Check it out at www.seiu888.org/htf