Local 888's Committee on Political Action (COPA) sends questionnaires and interviews candidates before making union endorsements. After careful consideration the committee endorsed 18 candidates who were up for either re-election or open seats in the recent state primary held on Sept 8. All of these candidates strongly believe in collective bargaining and support workers' rights.
[caption id="attachment_7017" align="alignright" width="640"]Local 888 members and staff joined with other supporters for Monica Cannon's GOTV effort on Sept. 8. Monica ran a great campaign -- but sadly she fell short by just 107 votes.[/caption]
Whenever the committee makes endorsements, it looks for the candidates who will best stand up for working families.
Of the 18 candidates endorsed by Local 888, 12 won their races. Below is a list of the candidates endorsed by Local 888 who won their elections on Sept. 8. Please continue to support them in the general election set for November 8.
- Senator Pat Jehlen, Second Middlesex
- For State Senate: Julian Cyr, Cape and Islands
- For State Rep. Trisha Farley Bouvier, Third Berkshire
- For State Rep. Evandro Carvalho, 5th Suffolk
- For State Rep. Liz Malia, 11th Suffolk
- For State Rep. Jay Livingstone, 8th Suffolk District
- For State Rep. Marjorie Decker, 25th Middlesex
- For State Rep. Dan Cullinane, 12th Suffolk
- For State Rep. Bud Williams, 11th Hampden
- For State Rep. Paul Moody, 5th Plymouth
- For State Rep. Jen Migliore, 9th Essex For State Rep. Natalie Higgins, 4th Worcester
- Mary Hurley, Candidate for Governor’s Council
- Steve Murphy Candidate for Register of Deeds
Local 888's political action doesn't stop now or in November. "Our goal is to focus on building stronger member leadership and to create the political capacity to hold our elected officials more accountable," said Local 888 political director Dan Hoffer. "We must be part of a much broader movement that can help level the playing field between people and corporations."